Death Chamberz Music Interview @Wafeekee

Death Chamberz Music Interview Wafeek

1.       How did you get your name?

I was calling myself Allah and writing a lot of raps online. Another emcee put me in touch with a family member of his who explained how blasphemous it was and offered to give me a second name to provide balance. Out of the options he shared Wafeek stuck out. He told me it would make my name mean god sent, which leads to a much more personal story. Big shout to my mother. Gonna keep my mouth closed on that one. Long story short with time comes experience, experience comes wisdom, so I grew to realize the whole Allah bit was wrong, and let it go. Hence Wafeek.



2.    What inspired you to become a artist?


Survival. St. Louis is no joke. And being a little nigga with no hands and no strap you had to figure out how to make it through the day with your head still attached. Being clever with the bars was my way of connecting with people. I’ve always had a passion for the written word. Rap became the bridge between. And then I turned 19 and the growth sprit hit. I didn’t need hip hop to protect myself, but by then it was all I wanted to do. It combines everything I love...music, writing, and live performance. And women...did I mention women yet?




3.       When and how  did you start? And have you created any records yet? or mixtape?


It’s the age old story I suppose. I’ve been writing since I was nine, and didn’t get serious until I dropped out of school at 19. My first mixtape was called “The Aristocrats”. It was mixed by DJ Trackstar and hosted by The Smoking Section. I’ve been pretty damn fortunate so far. Thank God.



4.       What’s your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing/producing/playing etc?


I have a large list of T.V. shows I love to watch. An ever growing list of programs. I don’t watch T.V. per say...thanks to the power of the internet. Until they finish us off with the whole network neutrality deal I’m living a commercial free life. In all seriousness it’s a great way to force an overactive brain like mine to relax. I’m always creating in my head, so the easiest way to chill is to distract my imagination with the exercise of suspended disbelief. To force it to go somewhere other than writing/producing/playing/etc.



5.       Who are your musical inspirations?


As far as emcees go it’s Bigge, Nas, Jay, Pac, Pun…the list is a little longer but those are the big ones. Outside of hip hop it’s a little harder. Kind of depends on when you ask me. The Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, D’Angelo…



6.       What kind of music do you listen to today?


I mainly listen to what we call work...i.e. myself or whatever project I am working on. If it isn’t work then it’s usually some form of the outside of hip hop musical inspiration list. I don’t listen to much hip hop these days. No offense at all to the folks who make it. I’d just prefer to keep from being too influenced by what they’re doing. Best way to create diversity as far as I am concerned is to unconcern yourself with the efforts of others.




7.       What surprises would we find in your music collection?



That I don’t really have one? I’d have to say the Beach Boys. I have over a hundred songs of theirs. Although these days nothing really surprises people anymore. Definitely not in that regard.



8.       Todays music is about collaborations with a "hot" rapper out now, who would you love to work with on a project?



An entire project? Wow that’s tough. I really enjoyed working with Killer Mike and I’d be more than down to do an entire project with him. Of course there’s Nas but I’d probably be too star struck to focus. My ultimate dream is to work with Kanye so let’s go there. I feel like his production and overall vision would bring out the best in me.




9.       What do you think your listeners will get out of your music?


Revitalization. There’s always a cycle within culture where things die out and things are reborn. I believe we are seeing the beginning stages of it with artists like Kendrick and J.Cole. I want to add my name to that list.



10.   What do you hope to do with your music?


I hope to see the world with it. To positively impact lives outside of just rapping on stage or in a studio. To be able to uplift not only my family or my community but families and communities around the globe. I want to provide little black and brown faces with another kind of hero. Yeah I rap, but I’m not the stereotypical black male image they are fed everyday. I’m as passionate in writing comic books or crafting songs for movie trailers as I am in creating bars. It’s all about balance.



11.   Where do you see the generation heading?


Wherever I want them to go. Hahahah no in all seriousness where ever we want to go. Just because it’s cliche doesn’t mean it’s wrong...we have the power, the numbers, the creativity. Often times we’re labeled as narcissistic, lazy, lost, self-absorbed. What they don’t tell us is so was every single generation before us. The future is ours right now.



12.   Is there any advice you'd like to give to young aspiring artist ?


Do something else. I got this. But If you INSIST on doing it? Good. That’s the only way you’re going to get anywhere. Persistence. Perseverance. Consistency.



13.   What projects should we be on the lookout for in the near future?



I’d like to do another mixtape with Trackstar (the DJ) but he’s a BUSY man. So we’ll see. I’m definitely going to keep putting the pressure on the world at large with consistent tracks dropping every week or so until a proper plan for the next release takes shape.




14.   Any shout outs?



Well obviously first and for most to the good folks at Death Chamberz Music for giving me a look. Can’t thank you enough. Trackstar the DJ and Killer Mike for being kind enough to bless me the way that they did. Sum Difference, Celo, DeeGrey, Steve Spiffler, and Lost FX for being the best crew on the fucking planet...The Black Lion Records team. We’re just getting warmed up. Oh and last but not least the homie Ben da Glorious Bastard out in brooklyn. Tell Dame Dash I want a record deal. And I’m ready and willing to earn it.




Comments

Popular Posts